Sunday, November 5, 2017

ORC Week 5: The Hot Tub Break Down

Well better late than never...
and before you go any further, just know this is a picture ugly post!
I just had to warn you:)
They say week five of the ORC is the hardest, and they're not joking.
I virtually got almost no work done this week on the cabana.
The temps have been up and down lately and if I'm completely honest,
I'm kinda over working on it and I've kind have moved onto projects inside my house.
For some reason this project being outside has got me in the mindset that I NEED my husbands  help, and he is home now, but he started his new job as an AO of his Battalion, and he has drill this weekend... so that's putting a damper on things too... 
And another confession... we started our hot tub last weekend and only half the jets would work.
So we called a guy... and... the guy said we need a new motor.
So needless to say, we are shelling out some coin that we were not expecting too,
which means some things will just not get done.
Which means I'm a bit bummed and defeated... bummer,
 but hey that's life... on the bright side we will have a 
fully functioning hot tub.
And if I can be honest on this aspect... (I promise I wasn't just injected with the truth serum)
I don't deal well with hiccups or set backs... and they do easily defeat me... it's like I get it in my head.."Well Game Over" especially if I have to sacrifice something for something else I didn't want... Like $500-600 for a new motor... I know we need it, but it's something no one will ever see... when you could have seen $500-600 worth of landscaping, a cupola and curtains...
 IDK I may not even get my curtains now...
And in the grand scheme of life, I know it's not a big deal, and these are sooooo first world problems... but I'm just venting... cause that's what I do...

So one positive, we did end up DIY'ing our hot tub cover, which is something we planned on doing a DIY on anyways. We do plan to get a new cover in the future, but we kind of thought hey if we can get a couple more years out of it... why not?
Last year the cover got demolished by the wind and whipped
it off the hot tub and shattered the foam.
So here is how we fixed it...We ended up cutting a piece of 1/4 luan plywood...
 we had a bunch on hand from my camper reno that we haven't gotten around to yet.
We just laid it on top, traced the shape of the foam and then cut.


As you can see in the first photo, when we pulled out the foam insert, not only was it broken, the plastic that protected it was completely deteriorated. So we put the broken foam on top of the newly cut plywood, we wrapped the entire thing in some left over painters plastic and then we used that new Gorilla Tape, which that stuff is awesome. 

So we started by taping across the package and then worked our way  up to an X and this seriously helped stabilized the piece of foam. The plywood was so thin it was a bit flimsy, which it had to fit back into the cover so it couldn't be too thick. The tape really helped to strengthen it.
I really feel like... no...wait... I know... I won't get everything I want done to it. 
But I'm going to do what I can and then just revamp it in the spring if need be.
Thanks for following along, it means so much to me and I'm sorry I don't have much of an update for you, week 6 probably won't be much either... but I'm hoping the reveal looks up to par.
Have a great week and I'll talk to ya soon!





SHARE:
Blogger templates by pipdig